Thursday, July 1, 2010

Kelly Clarkson's Airbrushing Controversy


kelly Clarkson's recent magazine front cover was airbrushed to ensure she looked "her personal best".

Self magazine has defended the decision to digitally slim down an image of the 'My Life Would Suck Without You' singer for their September issue.

Lucy Danziger, editor-in-chief of the women's health magazine, said in a posting on Self.com: "Do we retouch? Yes! Did we alter her appearance? Only to make her look her personal best.

"Of course we do retouching. We correct colour and other aspects of the digital pictures we take and then publish the best version we can.

Self magazine has defended the decision to digitally slim down an image of the 'My Life Would Suck Without You' singer for their September issue

"Did we publish an act of fiction? No. Not unless you think all photos are that. But in the sense that Kelly is the picture of confidence, and she truly is, then I think this photo is the truest we have ever put out there on the newsstand."

Danziger believes Kelly's altered appearance is "inspiring" to women, despite claiming the former 'American Idol' winner is a great role model because she doesn't care about her weight.

She said: "This is art, creativity and collaboration. It is meant to inspire women to want to be their best. That is the point.

"That is what we all relate to. Whether she is up or down in pounds is irrelevant (and to set the record straight, she works out and does boot-camp-style training, so she is as fit as anyone else we have featured in Self). Kelly says she doesn't care what people think of her weight. So we say, that is the role model for the rest of us."

In an interview with the magazine, the 27-year-old singer insisted she doesn't worry about her body even though she is often criticised for her fluctuating figure.

She said: "My happy weight changes. Sometimes I eat more, sometimes I play more. I'll be different sizes all the time.

"When people talk about my weight, I'm like, 'You seem to have a problem with it,' I don't. I'm fine! I've never felt uncomfortable on the red carpet or anything."

No comments:

Post a Comment