Monday, July 2, 2007

Road Trip - La Jolla and Carlsbad


I just got back from a road trip down to some of San Diego's cool beach towns - La Jolla and Carlsbad. The main purpose for the trip was to take my 3 year-old son to Legoland - yippee! Not much design inspiration here at this suburban nightmare, but the quaint little beach towns of La Jolla, Del Mar, Encinitas, and Carlsbad were chock full of inspiration for my Spring '08 collection. We spent the first day at La Jolla Shores and I attempted to teach my son to surf on a foam board rented at Surf Diva (they have a great new bikini shop too on Avenida de la Playa!). The waves were mushy and uninspiring, but I did get my son up on the board! The shopping is great in La Jolla along Prospect and Silverado (check out Stacia at Happy Endings at 931 Silverado!) overlooking the picturesque Cove. The Cove was by far the best place for free diving and snorkeling (beats out crowed Hanauama Bay!) Driving up the PCH 101 and exploring Del Mar (check out Stacia at The Rare Earth at 2710 Via de la Valle!), Solana Beach, Cardiff by the Sea, Encinitas, and Carlsbad was a blast. My favorites, La Jolla and Carlsbad have been the main inspiration for my new Spring '08 "Surfrider" collection of spacedye cotton knits. The 'La Jolla' spacedye colorway is a mix of blues and greens that make up the colors in the La Jolla Cove where I went diving. 'Carlsbad' embodies the many washed out beachy colors of this funky little surf town - peachy corals, sunny yellows, and sky blues. My new favorite Spring dress, the "T-shirt" mini dress in Carlsbad spacedye with drawstring waist and patch pockets, is perfect for the laid-back vibe of Carlsbad (with a bikini underneath and some gold thongs you're ready to go from beach to dinner in my washable cotton dress.) I also designed a crocheted tank in 'La Jolla' which I'm anxious to don next Spring. So the trip was a success, Legoland and all, but I'm always sure to find inspiration along the coast. My Spring/Summer collections are continually inspired by the ocean, the beach lifestyle, and the many colors in nature around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment