Saturday, July 21, 2007

Road Trip - St. Johnsbury, Vermont


On the road again...this time its my first trip to Vermont to my husband's quaint hometown, St. Johnsbury. I'm not a fan of being land-locked, but I must say this little town that is somehow stuck in time has charmed my pants off. It sits up on a hill with it's winding roads and New Englandesque Main streets and hosts the best intimate natural science museum, The Fairbanks Museum, and an eclectic library/art gallery, The Antheneum, all a stone's throw away from each other and the local fire station, post office, and town hall. I found some unexpected design inspiration at the Fairbank's Museum's display of live Vermont wildflowers. I've just named one of my new Spring '08 cotton colors, Wildflower (the shade of a Vermont Fireweed flower) - how appropriate! Next, I discovered the block prints of local Vermont artist, Sheri Pearl, who's graphic interpretations of organic flowers will be a sure inspiration for my next 'reverse-print' technique (maybe for next Fall!) So although I was land-locked and without my usual ocean-inspired experience, I must say I was able to score some great unexpected inspiration from this quaint little Vermont town. Just it's lush, natural beauty (everything in a 20 mile radius is green!), and the antiquey architecture (Hollywood should be filming here!) were enough to get my juices flowing again, just in time for designing Fall '08 (already!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment